Federated Insurance Company of Canada traces its roots all the way back to 1890 and a group of farm implement dealers in Minnesota who formed an Association in an effort to reduce their insurance costs. Since then, we have built a long tradition of insurance excellence of which we are tremendously proud. The following brief timeline provides a glimpse of some of the great moments in the history of Federated Insurance Company of Canada.
Our History, from 1920 to Today
- In September 1920, Federated Mutual Insurance Company (Federated Mutual), a United States company, formed a Canadian division and began selling property insurance in Canada.
- In 1948 Federated Mutual expanded into the casualty insurance business. This brought a tremendous boost to the growth and development of the Canadian division.
- In November 1987, Federated Insurance Company of Canada was formed via letters patent issued by the Minister of Finance. Owned by and operated under the direction of Federated Mutual, this entity assumed business operations formerly conducted by the Canadian division of Federated Mutual.
- In March 1990, Federated Insurance Company of Canada was purchased by Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. and became 100% Canadian owned and operated. John Paisley was named President later that same year.
- In 1998, Contact+ Insurance Network Ltd. was incorporated by Federated Insurance Company of Canada.
- In April 2003, Fairfax Financial Holdings formed Northbridge Financial Corporation to serve as the holding company for their Canadian insurance subsidiaries, including Federated Insurance Company of Canada.
- On June 1, 2013 Wayne Connelly was appointed President, Federated Insurance and John Paisley retires after 37 years.
Today Federated Insurance enjoys an “A (Excellent)” rating from A.M. Best, the international insurance rating agency. At Federated Insurance we truly believe our superior financial strength combined with our dedicated and disciplined underwriting expertise will allow us to continue to lead the industry in providing the commitment and service that our clients have come to know and expect from us.